Our development Approach
ACCIK uses the Triple Helix model as a development approach in its development programs. The Triple Helix model brings together the Government (NCCS and Juvenile Justice System), the Academia (PWANI and PC Kinyanjui) and the CCIs through an association (ACCIK) to enhance child rights, care and protection and accelerate creation of innovation and sustainable solutions to challenges in the field of Child care and Protection in Kenya.
Each of the three stakeholders brings their competency to bear, in addressing the issues around child care and protection for OVCs yielding exponential power in addressing the problem and delivers solution to the problem.
Family Based Care Programme: The best place for the growth and development of a child is within a family unit. This programme seeks to sensitize, build capacity and facilitate families, community and other stakeholders to promote family based care as opposed to institutionalization of children. Under this programme we carry out:
- Community sensitization forums on foster care training and adoption
- Family and community training on child protection, parenting, reintegration
- Linking CCIs with adoption societies for adoption of children
Capacity Development Programme: Building the capacity of persons practising or aspiring careers in child care and protection who include CCIs manager, parents, social worker community gatekeepers, government officers, teachers, health workers, chiefs etc This is done at the following level:
Proficiency programme – regular short term training at counties or region level
Certificate in child care and protection -1 1/2 years KNEC Examined (Mode of delivery regular, school based. Distance learning coming soon (link this to PC kinyanjui and Africa centre for child care and protection website)
Diploma in child care and protection – 3 years KNEC Examined course (Mode of delivery regular, school based. Distance learning coming soon) PC kinyanjui and Africa centre for child care and protection
Degree in child care and protection – 4 years course regular. (School based coming soon)Pwani university
- Volunteer and Mentorship Programme: This program creates a system to transfer knowledge, skills and guidance to young adults and professionals in the field of child care and protection. Volunteer programs within CCIs guided by the Volunteer policy in place, and mentorship of children in CCI, those in transition out of a CCI and those who have left care (Care Leavers) are structured through various activities including life skills training, motivational talks, talent promotions and exchange visits among others.
- Research and Documentation: As a learning grassroots and national organization, ACCIK create rich opportunity for carrying out research to inform on policy and programing on child care and protection issues. This is further enhanced by our development approach (policy makers, academia, and practitioners) whereby we create opportunity for sharing gained knowledge
- Advocacy Programme: This programme seeks to bring about policy changes at the policy level and changing behaviour of people at towards a better life for children. This is realized through:
- Development of national curriculum on child care and protection that provides for sustained long term advocacy
- Lobbying the government through creation of vibrant local network of grassroots organisation.